Saturday, December 25, 2010

Glassing the hull

Once the hull was free of sawdust I mixed up some epoxy, poured it into a paint tray and used the thin rollers that we bought at Pygmy to roll a thin saturation coat over the entire boat.
Then I went over all of it with a foam brush to smooth out any drips or bubbles. And let that dry overnight.
Then I lay the fiberglass cloth over the entire boat cutting it about 1-2 inches from the sheer seam and doing the little cut on the stern that is described in the manual. I was a bit worried about the cloth sliding as I rolled epoxy on it so I placed some weights on the top and used some scotch tape to attach the inside of the cloth to the inside of the boat. I probably didn't need to do this but it worked this way anyways.
Then I rolled epoxy over the cloth doing 4.5 oz. batches at a time. I used a squeegee to get all the excess epoxy off after the cloth was wetted. I have been very careful to not use too much epoxy in any step because I don't want to have to go through the scraping madness I had to previously.
You can see the difference between cloth with epoxy and without. It is completely see through. Once done with that I let it cure overnight.
Then I rolled a fill coat of epoxy (again making sure it is thin and smooth) over the entire boat. I placed a strip of fiberglass tape over the keel seam and used a bristle brush to wet the tape entirely with more epoxy. You can see the tape on the keel.
Then one more fill coat. After doing all this it really made the color of the wood pop out and I can definitely see a few scratches and discolorations under the fiberglass but it looks sweet overall.

1 comment:

  1. wow it sure looks sweet all right! U must be so pleased I am so proud of you both. This just looks wonderful!! Merry Christmas, hope to see you soon love mom

    ReplyDelete