Monday, December 20, 2010

Scraping, scraping and more scraping

And then it was time to scrape off all the excess epoxy from doing the seams. Oh man I wish we had been less messy. And thank you whoever invented the cabinet scraper. Shown below is how we scraped the epoxy off. It took me about a week (mostly because I had to work, too, and because I don't have robot arms). Kelly had to work more so had less time to scrape and she should be done soon.

We turned this...


into this...




...and finally to this. The cabinet scraper gets dull pretty easily and to sharpen it we used Todd Clippinger's method. This doesn't get "the finest" finish. But I have come to terms with the fact that my boat won't be the prettiest out there. I just want it to get me from Alaska to Orcas. And for that it doesn't need to look awesome.

After all the scraping, I did a little sanding, and used a moist sponge, a pin, and my lungs to get as much sawdust off as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment